Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Digital Citizenship

While I'm getting a clearer picture for myself what all is involved in being a digital (global) citizen and all the possibilities of tools available to use with my students to help them become digital citizens, I'm afraid most of my staff may be a different story. It's not that they aren't open to exploring new ideas and tools on the internet, in fact we just explored wordle and bubbl.us and played a little more with Discovery Streaming, but they are a little resistant. I think it comes from not seeing the relevance at the moment. Why would I spend all this time teaching my students how to blog when in the long run it will be less of a headache to have them write something on paper? (If truth be told, I wrestle with that idea at times, as well - my experience with blogs didn't go well.) Maybe if I can catch their attention with some of the more fun tools, I can haul them kicking and screaming down that road to digital citizenship, whether they like or not. Maybe if I can take them through some of the information out there about digital citizenship and what we're doing as a tech group, it will help to ease their fears and reluctance. I need to do some more searching, playing, trying things out and then see if I can convert the rest.

No comments: